GoodReader Networking: Connect Web Browser
You can download files to GoodReader from the Internet either by entering their URL addresses or by browsing the Web using a simple built-in browser.
Tips for downloading files from the Web
- If you know the exact URL address of a file, use Enter URL button on the Connect control panel.
- If you don`t know the exact URL address of a file, you can browse for it using a simple built-in web-browser - use Browser button on the Connect control panel.
- You can restrict the access to the built-in browser with a password. To do that, open GoodReader’s Settings and select Security Settings. Under Password for Web Browser turn on the Ask Password for Browsing switch.
- Every time you tap a link in a built-in browser, you will be asked if you want to follow the link or download the linked file. Select Follow the Link until you get to a file of interest, then select Download Linked File.
- It`s ok to have several separate downloads at the same time.
- Find information about your downloads in the Downloads section of the Connect control panel.
- The last 20 downloads are memorized - you can repeat them or edit the URL address of an old download and start a new download. To download several files with similar URL addresses, download the first one, then press the Reload mini-button, found in the corner of a web download item, edit URL of a recent download, change the address and start a new download.
- Use Back and Forward buttons to navigate in the built-in browser.
- If, when browsing in a web browser, you selected Follow the Link action, and it turns out that you should`ve pressed Download Linked File because the file of interest just opened in a browser, you don`t have to go back to select a proper action, use the Save the Current Page button instead
- Due to iOS limitations, not all links work in a very simple built-in browser. You may see the link, click it, and nothing will happen. There`s a simple workaround for this that works in many cases. Tap a link and hold it for a while. The system menu will pop up with the choice of actions. Select Open action, if you need to open the link. If it doesn`t open, select Copy (this will copy the URL address to clipboard) and then press Follow the Link from Clipboard or Save the File Linked by the Link from Clipboard button, depending on your intentions:
- Some servers don`t work well with the pop-up menu that asks you what to do with a link. If your server shows unexpected behavior, you can turn this pop-up menu off in the General section of Application Settings. In this case, use Save the Current Page button or tap, hold and copy link technique followed by the Save the File Linked by the Link from Clipboard button click to download a file of interest.
Great for paperless documents
I use this application all of the time for managing documents that I receive by email. Reviewing, annotating, and signing (with the Apple Pencil) is very easy and I love how the application allows you to protect individual folders w/ touch ID.
My only (minor) issue is that I wish that it had a feature similar to Outlook where you can specify that it should allow markup with the pencil, but not finger, allowing me to add markups more quickly without entering/exiting the mode and not having to keep moving the palm protection region around.
Contact us by e-mail. We're always happy to read your suggestions for improvements and new features, and to answer your questions: